Just less than four weeks after they played an intimate invitation-only club show at New York’s Cafe Wha, [lastfm link_type="artist_info"]Van Halen[/lastfm] took to the stage at Henson Studios in their hometown of Los Angeles Wednesday night. And while the idea was similar, everything about it was just a bit bigger…
The stage was more like the one they’ll use on their upcoming arena tour, with runways extending from the stage that ran along opposite walls of the rectangular room.
As the band went into their opener, “You Really Got Me,” [lastfm link_type="artist_info"]David Lee Roth[/lastfm] said, “We’ve been dusting off the set for the last few months and tonight we’re gonna dust off the barbecue.” There was no barbecue, but the set-list was five songs longer than the New York show’s, adding three chestnuts — “Unchained,” “Ice Cream Man” and “Ain’t Talkin’ ‘Bout Love” — and the first performances of “Tattoo” and “The Trouble With Never” from A Different Kind of Truth, which hits stores Tuesday.
And though they also closed the show with “Jump,” it was on a grander scale, with the band being joined by a troupe of Brazilian Carnival drummers and female dancers, who lined both runways, while confetti streamed from the rafters.
Over the top? C’mon…it’s [lastfm link_type="artist_info"]VAN HALEN[/lastfm]. Here’s a jumpy, distorted video (worth it, though), capturing the insanity! ~JZ.
More stories you’ll K-LUV:
- Bob Dylan Spotted Painting Topless Women in Central Park
- Would You Rather: New Stones Music Or Mick Jagger’s Hair?
- John’s Rock N Roll Diary: Sir Paul’s Bonnaroo Set List
- Winning Weekend Smokey Robinson 6/22 – 6/23
- Ron Wood On The Rolling Stones’ Future: ‘We’ve Just Got To Find The Gaps To Record’
- I Can’t Believe It’s Been 6 Years…
- Jenny’s Q: Traffic Activities
- KLUV Morning Choir – For What It’s Worth
- KLUV Morning Choir – Hashtag
- Deporting Squirrels