Back before Christmas, the hubs and I discovered a huge lump on our dog’s neck. We were concerned parents and took him to the vet only to hear the most horrific word ever…cancer. After hearing that word, I really don’t remember much else. I remember crying in the vet’s office, crying all the way home, and then once I got home, continued to cry every time I looked at him. After the initial shock wore off, after coming to terms with the idea that our precious baby had cancer, we started searching for the next step. We ended up getting a referral for a specialist in Dallas, where all they do is deal with dogs and cats with cancer. After a week of testing, x-rays, poking and prodding, the doctors decided he had a thyroid issue. He produces too much thyroid, which in his case, caused a thyroid carcinoma to develop in his neck. It’s a slow growing cancer and was probably growing there for a while before we ever even noticed it. But long story short…the plan was to remove it. The doctors were fairly certain they could get it all! Finally, some good news!!! We went through with the surgery and sure enough, they were able to get it all! They told us his tumor was pretty big too. About the size of my palm.
Knowing that they were able to get all of the tumor made Christmas break a little easier, however, the tumor still needed to be sent off for a biopsy to determine whether he would need chemo, radiation, or both. Well, here we are, decision time. The vet has recommended both chemo and radiation. Now, I would go into debt over my dog and trying everything I could to give him a few more years. My hubby doesn’t quite agree with me simply because there really is no guarantee that the cancer won’t come back. We really only have three options…chemo and radiation, which is crazy expensive…just chemo, which is half the cost of both, or simply do nothing. So, really I need some advice. If you were in my situation, what would you do? Feel free to leave comments too!