Every year since 1991, Florida university professor Stephen Leatherman has ranked the best beaches in the U.S. and this year’s list has been unveiled! Nearly one-third are in the good doctor’s home state, two in Hawaii and only one in the very long state of California.
By the way, Stephen Leatherman is a geoscientist, coastal ecologist and first director of the International Hurricane Research Center at Florida International University for more than a decade – he know of what he speaks!
Dr. Beach takes into account 50 different factors including sand, waves and parking.
- Siesta Beach – Siesta Key, Florida
- Kapalua Bay Beach – Maui, Hawaii
- Ocracoke Beach – Outer Banks, North Carolina
- Grayton Beach State Park – Grayton Beach, Florida
- Coopers Beach – Southampton, New York
- Coast Guard Beach – Cape Cod, Massachusetts
- Caladesi Island State Park – Dunedin-Clearwater, Florida
- Hapuna Beach State Park – Big Island, Hawaii
- Coronado Beach – San Diego, California
- Beachwalker Park – Kiawah Island, South Carolina
What… no Galveston, Corpus Christi, or Rockport? 😉